What's on this page?
On this page you will find information on NEPAD's energy programme, including aims, progress and achievements to date.
What is the NEPAD energy programme?
Energy is a key driver for economic growth .NEPAD energy programme covers the main sources of energy, be it electrical or renewable or oil and gas .The programme strives to increase energy accessibility by the African population, to drive economic growth and prosperity of the continent
Aims and objectives.
The energy programme works in a number of key areas to facilitate the development and growth of the energy sector across Africa .This include regional energy infrastructure development both on generation and grid connectivity, renewable energy resources utilization, regional energy market development and efficient usage of energy.
Priority areas for NEPAD's energy programme include energy infrastructure development in Africa up to 2040 known as PIDA, bio energy development for energy and food security, energy accessibility through renewable energy solutions, development of the continent nuclear power resources , energy efficiency , regional energy market and capacity development at national and regional levels . The programme also supports development of power generation from natural gases, coal bed methane and geothermal power in the Rift Valley. The programme promotes the development of regional and continental energy policy frameworks and strategies, development of energy regulatory systems and realistic tariff that attracts private investment in the energy sector.
What progress has been made so far?
NEPAD's energy programme lists a number of key achievements to date. These include::
Development of continental programme for energy infrastructure growth up to year 2040 within PIDA. This includes regional energy generation projects, regional grids corridors ,gas and oil pipelines ,soft regional projects on capacity
development and studies.
- Identification of high priority regional energy generation projects and regional and continental connectivity corridors up to year 2020.This includes nine energy generation projects (mainly hydro), four regional/continental corridors and two gas and oil pipelines.
- Development of monitoring and evaluation plans for the implementation the high priority project
- NEPAD Framework for Sustainable Development of Bioenergy Industry in Africa
- NEPAD Bioenergy Programme for Small Farm holders in Africa
- NEPAD Action Plan for Bioenergy development for energy and food security
- NEPAD Bioenergy Investment programmes for Southern and Western Africa Regions.
- NEPAD Renewable Energy Programme for the most energy poverty stricken countries in Africa
- NEPAD Energy Efficiency Programme
- Comprehensive data on the energy projects across the continent
- Building partnerships with the Power Institute for East and Southern Africa (PIESA) through an MOU to build capacity among regional power utilities. Also, Building Partnership with Africa Regulatory Body ,AFUR, through an MOU to develop and harmonize energy regulations on regional and continental levels
- The programme has joined hand with AUC Energy Team and other regional stakeholders to develop policies and strategies for the exploitation of geothermal power in the rift valley.
- The programme networked very well with the main energy stakeholders at national, regional and continental levels and responded whenever possible to enormous call for information, participation and contributing in professional meetings / workshops / seminars / conferences at various levels.
Who is leading the programme?
Professor Mosad Elmissiry, MosadE@nepad.org 
Tel: +27 11 256 3674